- Obtaining approval: Students coming to Rutgers University from an outside school and wish to transfer their course credits must obtain approval from the SAS Transfer Center. Most courses at the New Jersey County and Community Colleges have been evaluated and their Rutgers transfer status is listed on NJ Transfer.
- Residency requirement for CBN Major: Students who plan to major in CBN should keep in mind that a maximum of 16 credits of course work from among General Biology and other Life Sciences electives may be transferred from any institution outside of Rutgers-New Brunswick. This limit in course transfer credits does not apply to other required non-life sciences core courses such as General Chemistry/lab, Organic Chemistry/lab, Physics/lab and Calculus/Statistics.
Transfer Courses for Current Rutgers Students
- Preapproval from SAS and CBN advisor is required: Rutgers students who wish to take courses outside of the university must get pre-approval from SAS and CBN. Complete the Transfer Credit Preapproval Form and make an appointment to bring it along with a detailed course syllabus to Dr. Shu C. Hsur. Shu C. Hsu in Nelson D-419. Upon approval by the department, the student can submit the form to the SAS advisor for approval. For additonal information, pleasae view the FAQs about Transfer Course Preapprovals.
- Preapproval of non-life sciences courses: Any non-Life Sciences course (General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, Calculus or Statistics) must be evaluated and approved by the appropriate departments at Rutgers.
- Preapproval non-traditional courses: Online courses, whether offered by Rutgers or by another university, will be evaluated and approved on a case by case basis. See above for preapproval instructions. Winter session courses will not count toward the major.